Thursday, June 19, 2008

Bad, bad, bad design.......

One of the first things that struck me when I first moved to Ohio was the abundance of HORRIBLE design work. I mean, I am talking about stuff my eleven year old probably could have done better on (only half kidding). I understand that some of it is "grandfathered in" and has been in use for decades. I also understand that allot of companies go with their cousins buddy who is still taking his first design class or something like that. But still, it just amazes me.

Let's take for example the Youngstown Water Departments logo :) Everyone who lives in the city has seen it so you know what i'm talking about. It is SO bad, I can't even describe it without being insulting to the city (which I love). You know what I mean though. It is SO bad, I would be happy to redesign it for FREE just so we can all look at something a little more, um, "creative". (That's a real offer BTW, hint, hint....)

I know there are a few "high end" design houses in the area as well as a plethora of freelancers to take advantage of, so I am a bit confused as to the lack of interest businesses seem to have in their logo here. I honestly don't know if it's a price issue with the other guys or if the businesses haven't been educated as to the importance of their corporate identity, but it just makes me want to run around town offering free design services just so we can look at better designed logos/ ads/ sites/ signs and more. I wish I could, but being a freelancer, I barely make ends meet as is, so I can't :).

So, I welcome any readers to post examples of bad design work in The Mahoning Valley. Let's make a list shall we? Be nice though as most cases are either unnoticed by the owners, they're used to it, they think their customers like it that way or they don't want to offend their cousins buddy in design school :).

No comments: